Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Couple of Tips on How to Choose an In-Car Navigation System

Last week I was looking at the new line of in-dash navigation systems. When I searched online I was amazed to find how many different make and models of these systems there are on the market today.

Deciding which one is the right one for you is a bit of a nightmare. There seems to be so many features and functions on these things that it can be quite confusing to determine which one will suit you best. I suppose the only way is to figure out what you want out of these units and write these points down.

Do you need the GPS navigation or the entertainment part of the system, maybe its both. The GPS systems can have TomTom or Garmin navigation incorporated. They have slightly different features, but they both still do the basic navigating.

The ECO feature of the Garmin swayed it for me, after I done a bit of research on both. Reducing your carbon footprint is a good idea, as well as saving you a bit of money on gas costs. Not to say that the TomTom is no good, on the contrary, it has some great features of it's own.

It just depends on what is most beneficial to you. I am not the bothered about music and movies, so the entertainment part of the system I left the choice to the kids, they could choose what features they wanted. Besides how can I watch when I'm driving?

Every year we take a road trip, so being able to play CD's and DVD's is a must for the long journeys. Playing movies and listening to music from their ipods was one of the features that my kids liked. I'm not very good with those types of items, so leave it to the kids.

The one redeeming feature of the entertainment system, is that it has dual zone audio, what a relief. I don't have to listen to kids movies again. The kids can listen to their own music in the back!

The Pioneer avic-x920bt was the system we decided on, me for the navigation system and the kids for the entertainment. Being able to make hands free phone calls is a must for me, as I'm constantly in touch with the office.

A great safety feature, making and receiving phone calls while keeping your hands on the steering wheel, at any time, but especially with the kids in the car. The kids are happy with this new in-dash receiver and I must say I like it too.

I hope you found this informative, if you need more information on in-dash navigation systems, please read a review of the Pioneer avic-x920bt if you are interested.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment